Hey Alex Joni and all:

If two Alex Joni tripods are placed on their sides three or more feet apart
with a hotwire connected
to the center washers  you would have a cnc foamcutter.

There are articles about constraining cable crafters or cable robots. A
triangle the most stable structural form.
If a tripod and three more cables and three more motors always maintaining
tension would make your device most stable.
 Cables in tension are stronger than compression members.

Alex if you don't mind me asking, how much did your prototype cost.  Could
you give me the particulars and specification
of making your prototype.  I think my first step is to make two tripods to
do foam cutting. Then to make modifications
 for a inverted tetrahedron tripod using gravity for tension.  Later using
six motors for constant tension to maintain stability. I think that
tensegrity structures although light can be very robust.

Geodesic domes and geometric structures are a hobby of mine. I think that
triangular cables can make cnc structures inexpensive.

Your particular prototype would be good for use as a rapid prototyping
framework for reprap if you have a method
for obtaining a z axis.

Best regards,

Andrew