> Alex if you don't mind me asking, how much did your prototype cost.  Could
> you give me the particulars and specification
> of making your prototype.  I think my first step is to make two tripods to
> do foam cutting. Then to make modifications
> for a inverted tetrahedron tripod using gravity for tension.  Later using
> six motors for constant tension to maintain stability. I think that
> tensegrity structures although light can be very robust.

well.. motors were taken out of broken old harddrives, ~0$
fishing line .. ~ .5$
metal base was some scrap I had around .. ~2$
the L-shaped holders, also scrap .. ~1$
I used MIG nozzles to feed the fishing line .. ~2$ each
stepper drivers .. ~20$ to build from scratch each (I actually had the ones
in the pic from a friend, and gave them back)
PC + emc2 .. ~ 1 week to set up (should be way faster now, as the config is
included in emc2)

I appreciate the whole thing to have cost me about 10-20$ + time to set it
up (an afternoon).

> Your particular prototype would be good for use as a rapid prototyping
> framework for reprap if you have a method
> for obtaining a z axis.

it actually does have an Z axis, which I don't use.
In order to use the Z axis, you need to have some weight on the tooltip, and
let gravity do it's thing.
But for that I would have needed bigger motors, maybe a future version will
have that.

Regards,
Alex