Last week I made my first thread on my lathe. It didn't take long to get
good threads, but I wasn't happy with the PID tuning, so I have been
doing battle with that. After some improvement, I tried another thread
and got a pronounced surge motion during the threading passes. This
happened last week, but turned out to be an erratic spindle encoder
signal. I checked all of my encoders, which seem to be fine. Then I went
back through some of my "known decent" PID settings and got the same
surging. The surge appears to be commanded. I have a feeling that the
increased acceleration times may be a factor. I wonder if synced motion
should have a ramp or buffer zone to allow it to lock gracefully. I have
a halscope graph of a spindle synced motion and my best tuning at this
link:

http://www.wallacecompany.com/cnc_lathe/HNC/emc2/spindle_sync_surge-1a.png

and the .ngc file is here:

http://www.wallacecompany.com/cnc_lathe/HNC/emc2/spin_sync_z-1.ngc