John Kasunich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Sebastian Kuzminsky wrote:
> > I've determined that with no load on the motor shaft, stepping the
> > PWM duty cycle from 0 to 100% causes the motor to accelerate from a
> > stand-still to the 1200 RPM limit in about 75 us.
>
> Wow.
>
> And wow again.
>
> That is one VERY low inertia motor, or an astonishing amount of torque,
> or both.  Zero to 1200 RPM in 75uS is 16,000 RPM per millisecond.  I
> don't know what the top speed of the motor is, but it sounds like it
> can get there in at most a couple milliseconds.  That's remarkable
> performance.

It's a Pittman 8322, overdriven from 19.1 V to 24 V.  The rated
top speed (at 19.1 V) is 7847 rpm, rated peak torque is
7.4 oz*in.  There are excellent manufacturer's specs here:
<http://pittmannet.com/series8000motors.html>

> You might want to connect it to your actual load and measure the accel
> rate again.  If it is a very low inertia motor, you might find that the
> load inertia gets the accel rate down to something a little less
> astonishing, and a lot easier to deal with.

Good idea, I bet it'll spin much slower when driving something.

> > My plan for trying to limit the motor shaft speed is to run a two-level
> > PID controller.  The first PID controller tries to achieve the target
> > position using encoder.position as feedback.  The output from the
> > position PID controller goes not to the pulse generator, but to the
> > command for the velocity PID controller.  The velocity PID controller
> > uses encoder.velocity as feedback, and *its* output goes to pwmgen.value.
> >
> > I'll run the velocity PID controller in a relatively fast thread (no
> > more than 75 us period), but the position PID controller can run at the
> > usual rate of 1 KHz or so.
>
> The problem is going to be getting usable velocity feedback.  Your
> encoder sampling is at 25uS, and your PID is running at 75uS.  That
> means in any one PID period, you get either 0, 1, 2, or 3 encoder
> counts.  Not much resolution.

That makes sense.  If the load doesnt slow the motor down enough, it
looks like I'll need to buy a Pluto-P or a MesaNet product.

Bummer, I was hoping to do it all in software on the PC using just the
parallel port for I/O.

--
Sebastian Kuzminsky