Sebastian Kuzminsky wrote:

> It's a Pittman 8322, overdriven from 19.1 V to 24 V.  The rated
> top speed (at 19.1 V) is 7847 rpm, rated peak torque is
> 7.4 oz*in.  There are excellent manufacturer's specs here:
> <http://pittmannet.com/series8000motors.html>

> Bummer, I was hoping to do it all in software on the PC using just the
> parallel port for I/O.

If you limit the speed to 1200 RPM, you will be handicapping the
motor.  The power that a motor delivers is the product of speed
and torque.  If you cut the top speed from 7847 to 1200 RPM, you
can only get 15.3% of the motor's rated power out of it.  That's
pretty bad.

A configuration that lets the motor spin to full speed (either a
lower PPR encoder, or hardware to count the pulses) will let you
get full power out if it.  That might mean using toothed belts or
gears to reduce the shaft speed to match your screw, but when you
reduce the speed that way, you gain torque.  If you reduce speed
electrically, you do NOT gain any torque.

Regards,

John Kasunich