On Sun, Nov 04, 2007 at 01:20:34PM +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a milling machine here which i want to control with emc. Fo the
> first tests im using the "normal" parallel port adapter. I'm, however,
> afraid of loosing steps on my stepping motors so im planing to use some
> quadratur encoder to also measure the position of the axes. My questions
> now are:
>
> 1. Is it better to use a dedicated board which is able to control the
> stepper motor and readout the quadratur encoders. The board is connected
> via usb (usbserial modul) and the board can send a command for either
> speed or steps of the motor.

No USB hardware is supported by emc at this time.

> 2. How would i readout quadratur encoder on the parallel port

Use the 'encoder' module.  After installing emc, "man 9 encoder".

> 3. How many stepper motor can i control maximum with one parallelport
> and emc?

Each stepper motor requires 2 hardware output pin.  The parallel port
has 13.  So if no pins are required for other purposes, 6 stepper motors
can be controlled, with one output pin left over.

> I know that question one implies writing a adaper for the hal. I have
> basic experience in xenomai programming. Would it be hard to implement
> the usb board into emc?

You'd need a very thorough, low-level knowledge of USB in order to make
a USB driver fit the HAL model (hardware read and write takes place
according to function position in HAL threads, not based on interrupts
or DMA).  I don't even know whether this is possible.

Jeff