With the stock Gutsy kernel my NIC works fine. With any vanilla kernel
(with or without RTAI) my NIC does not work. By the time I realized this
and switched my NIC for a 9 year old one, I was so far along in the
source process that I wanted to finish it rather than switch to the debs.

So in conclusion the experimental debs probably will work as well, but I
ended up not trying them beyond installing the patched kernel.

I think what I would like to do at some point is create a second
installation of Ubuntu (or a virtual machine), install the experimental
debs and see if the halcmd problem is there. If it isn't then compare
the permissions of all the files. I suspect that this will pinpoint the
problem. However I won't get chance to do that in the next month, or
probably before the end of the year.

If it helps I can ls -l any folders you want and email off-list the output.

Also it would be interesting if someone else reproduced my steps to see
if they have the halcmd problem or not. Perhaps it is the version of GCC
I used?

Andy

Jeff Epler wrote:
> Hi.  Thanks for documenting this process, it looks pretty similar to
> what I've done.
>
> I am curious why you chose this option:
>     Loadable module support > Module unloading (N)
> With this option, I would have expected that emc can only be run once
> per reboot, a pretty nasty limitation.
>
> Did your kernel not have the same ethernet driver problem you mentioned
> on cnczone in the gutsy experimental kernel?  or did some other reason
> encourage you to build yours from scratch?
>
> I still haven't come up with any bright ideas about why you can't run
> halcmd as non-root -- this wasn't a problem on my own gutsy machine and
> the experimental emc2 package.
>
> Jeff

Andy
PGP Key ID: 0x67090A54