Hi.  Thanks for documenting this process, it looks pretty similar to
what I've done.

I am curious why you chose this option:
    Loadable module support > Module unloading (N)
With this option, I would have expected that emc can only be run once
per reboot, a pretty nasty limitation.

Did your kernel not have the same ethernet driver problem you mentioned
on cnczone in the gutsy experimental kernel?  or did some other reason
encourage you to build yours from scratch?

I still haven't come up with any bright ideas about why you can't run
halcmd as non-root -- this wasn't a problem on my own gutsy machine and
the experimental emc2 package.

Jeff