Andrew Ayre wrote:
> Duh - sorry, ignore. You can't set up a VM on a live CD because you
> would be redistributing Windows. Gah...

That's correct, but a bit confusing, I mean the way you suggest using
VM. EMC is installed on the hard disk when in practical use. You should
be able to run virtual machine in that kind of setting. However,
virtualization takes it's toll on CPU and memory which would not work
too well with real time applications.

Including software to run virtual machines in live CD is not a problem
for open source OS. You might be able to find virtual appliance with
Windows 98 out there if I'm not mistaken.

While possible and in some cases an interesting challenge to install all
kinds of operating systems and applications in one system, I would
rather dedicate a PC to a real time application and have everything else
on another system. PCs are so cheap these days that it's easy to setup a
PC for a single use, EMC in this case. If nothing else, a good reason to
use a dedicated PC is to keep it close to the CNC machine, properly
grounded and permanently connected. The requirements for such a PC are
modest too.

Here we enter more of a discussion for generic OS usage where the trend
will be in direction of virtualizing applications so that OS will become
mostly irrelevant in the future. Multicore CPUs are entering mainstream,
BIOS will soon get either additions or be replaced with hypervisor code
to enable first OS to boot in virtual mode.

It's ridiculous that we cannot go without much hated commercial OS just
to run some critical business applications because there are no good or
well supported alternatives. It has been noted by the software giant,
that never invented anything, as is now trying to catch up with yet
another computer technology it missed completely.

Proprietary software will be taken care of with virtual appliances for
specific use as the products mature. Wine is getting better but it's
left behind because of undocumented features it tries to emulate.
Fortunately we have good and affordable alternatives, VirtualBox,
mentioned by Andrew, VMware, qemu, etc.

One low cost way with good support is to use VMware Workstation, create
virtual machines with whatever OS you need, and then use free VMplayer
to run it in other systems. Licensing is of course an exercise left to
the user. As far as open source operating systems go, there are already
numerous appliances available and supported by VMware community.

> Andrew Ayre wrote:
>
>> Why not consider virtual machine programs like VirtualBox? It has a
>> Seemless mode which means Windows application can run in the Linux
>> desktop without needing the Windows desktop. I ran Solid Edge 2D like
>> this without a problem.
>>
>> Andy

Rafael