I think the problem is a matter of power. If your motors have a lot of
torque and take a lot of current then you need integrated drivers. These
drivers can be pricey.

I bought a 4-axis driver board from hobbycnc.com because when I added up
the cost of the components for a simple set of hardware, it wasn't much
less than a professional kit with technical support. I think the current
cost is around $100.

Andy

W. Jacobs wrote:
> Hello All,
> I am new, real new to the cnc world.  I want to convert a small bench
> top mill into a cnc machine.  I have wanted to do this for a long time
> and about a week or two ago, I found the linuxCNC.org web site.  I have
> not at this time found a computer I want to use and am looking for one.
>
> I have wanted to do this project for a long time.  Because of that,
> Years ago, I found 3 rather husky stepper motors that I thought would be
> usable and bought them.  They have been sitting on a shelf for a long
> time.
>
> I looked at stepper drivers the other day and thought they were rather
> expensive.  A 3 axis unit was just over $300.  That seems like a lot of
> money to me.  It is my understanding that the printer port of the
> computer has 2 lines per axis.  One line tells direction and the other
> says to take a step now.  That seems pretty elementary to me.  It should
> use a small micro controller, and 4 transistors for each axis.
>
> I had planed to belt drive the lead screws with a timing belt and use a
> stepper motor that has 200 steps per revolution.  This will give
> resolution of about .0005 inch per step.  I may half step, but I see no
> reason to micro step.
>
> Am I missing something?  Is there more here than I think?  Is my concept
> of the data on the printer port wrong?  Any light on the situation would
> be helpful
>
> Thanks
> bill
>

> Mark Wendt (Contractor) wrote:
>> Wondered if anyone has or is using the Keling KL-4030 stepper drives
>> with EMC2.  Any compatibility problems with EMC2 and the drives?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mark

Andy
PGP Key ID: 0x67090A54