These suggestions may be irrelevant, John.  I've not had a full dose of
coffee.

Is the bios for this parport set to spp or out?
Have you tried inverting these pins using HAL's parport parameters?

I seem to remember that a couple of the pins you list were considered
inverted in hardware but that diagram seems to have gone away.  From the
current HAL User Manual it sounds like HAL takes account of pins that
were inverted in hardware.

Also long ago we had to use external pull-up or pull-down resistors to
create a well behaved parport.

Rayh