On Fri, 2007-12-28 at 18:33 -0500, Dave Keeton wrote:
> How did you get it to work with EMC2.2.2?

I may be wrong, and you should wait for Peter to get back from
walk-about, for a reply, but I suspect he hasn't. I think that he is
offering options to people seeking Modbus hardware. Using Modbus with
EMC is another issue.

There have been rumors that Modbus is available with EMC, but for me,
finding any information on it, is like finding hen's teeth. It appears
that EMC provides Modbus support via Classic Ladder, this means that it
is restricted to non-real-time, which shouldn't be a big deal(?). On the
Classic Ladder site:

http://membres.lycos.fr/mavati/classicladder/

I found in a README file:

http://membres.lycos.fr/mavati/classicladder/README.txt

... snip
HARDWARE (DISTRIBUTED INPUTS/OUTPUTS)...
ClassicLadder can use distributed inputs/outputs on modules using the modbus
protocol ("master": pooling slaves).
The slaves and theirs I/O can be configured in the config window.
2 exclusive modes are available : ethernet using Modbus/TCP and serial using
Modbus/RTU.
For the serial one, the serial port and the speed must be correctly set in the
config file
(manually with a text editor), and then you must pass this file to
classicladder with -c
argument. No parity is used.
If no port name for serial is set, IP mode will be used...
The slave address is the slave address (Modbus/RTU) or the IP address.
The IP address can be followed per the port number to use (xx.xx.xx.xx:pppp)
else
the port 502 will be used per default.
The modbus address element 1 is the first one (0 in the frame).
2 products have been used for tests: a Modbus/TCP one (Adam-6051,
http://www.advantech.com)
and a serial Modbus/RTU one (http://www.ipac.ws)
See examples: adam-6051 and modbus_rtu_serial.
Web links: http://www.modbus.org and this interesting one:
http://www.iatips.com/modbus.html
... snip

For getting Peter's ModIO board to talk to EMC, the above README
excerpt leads me to believe that you would first need to get Classic
Ladder to talk to EMC:

http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?ClassicLadder

Then research the Modbus/RTU mentioned in the README above to see if
the ModIO's serial port can talk to EMC/Classic Ladder serially.

Another issue, is that it appears that the ModIO is configured with a
Windows program, although, for some of you that may not be an issue.

--
Kirk Wallace (California, USA
Hardinge HNC lathe,