Colin MacKenzie wrote:

> This is an informative thread only, but I got an installation of emc2
> on a 2GB compact flash drive which plugs into my IDE on my
> motherboard. I have an all solid state emc2 controller with wireless
> network and card reader. Pretty slick. I plan on getting a small touch
> screen and keyboard to mount on the machine too so its all self
> countained.

Cool.  I have a full install, including developer tools, on some 8GB SSD
drives.  They have about 3.1GB used, though I never bothered to
uninstall anything.  It's likely that an install of the server version
of 6.06LTS would be a better way to start, then add the EMC2
repositories and install.

> To get emc2 ubuntu live cd to install on the flash took some work. The
> min installation is just under 3GB. I first installed on a 10GB HD,
> then uninstalled openoffice and other unneeded apps. Then shrunk the
> partition, direct copied (dd) the partition to the CF card. The CF
> card already had a partitioned swap and identical sized linux part
> that I created. Reinstalled GRUB to the MBR on the CF and it worked!

There's a tool called partimage which I used to get the data off.  I had
made a dd copy, but at ~8GB, that's a bit unweildy.  The PartImage
compressed image was ~900MB.  I did it as a partition image, rather than
a full disk, but it supports either.  It's a lot like Ghost, if you're
familiar with that.

I'm not sure how well flash will work as swap.  Although the technology
has kept improving, there are still write cycle limits for flash drives.

>  Chances are, you could probably do the same thing on a 2GB USB Flash
> Drive if your motherboard supports USB Flash Boot (most modern ones
> do). You would definitely need 2GB tho, my linux part is 93% used
> right now! Not much space left. (There are probably lots more useless
> stuff that I can remove but interdepedancy with gnome makes it tough,
> such as the sounds.)

Heh - yep.  Though there has been lots of talk about headless EMC2
computers running the machine, using another PC for the GUI.  This is
what my application was for - the embedded machine has no
display/keyboard, if you need to communicate with it, you plug in an
ethernet cable and use ssh.

I have some fairly minimalist runscripts to make runlevel 2 perform
better for RT.  I'll post them on the wiki when I have a chance.  If you
can, please either create a wiki page with your information, or if
there's already a page that covers embedding EMC on a flash drive,
please update it.

Thanks
- Steve