Chris,

I have EMC2 running under Kubuntu and in just under 2 GB, although I used a
4GB flash IDE drive. Very easy install actually. All I did was to
temporarily install an IDE CD-ROM drive, do a standard CD install of
Kubuntu, then install EMC2 from the network connection (Internet). The only
differences from the standard EMC2 install is to do a manual chmod on the
install script, and then run it manually from a terminal session.

Without uninstalling anything it comes in a little under 2GB.

Regards,
Eric

This is an informative thread only, but I got an installation of emc2 on a
2GB compact flash drive which plugs into my IDE on my motherboard. I have an
all solid state emc2 controller with wireless network and card reader.
Pretty slick. I plan on getting a small touch screen and keyboard to mount
on the machine too so its all self countained.

To get emc2 ubuntu live cd to install on the flash took some work. The min
installation is just under 3GB. I first installed on a 10GB HD, then
uninstalled openoffice and other unneeded apps. Then shrunk the partition,
direct copied (dd) the partition to the CF card. The CF card already had a
partitioned swap and identical sized linux part that I created. Reinstalled
GRUB to the MBR on the CF and it worked!

Chances are, you could probably do the same thing on a 2GB USB Flash Drive
if your motherboard supports USB Flash Boot (most modern ones do). You would
definitely need 2GB tho, my linux part is 93% used right now! Not much space
left. (There are probably lots more useless stuff that I can remove but
interdepedancy with gnome makes it tough, such as the sounds.)