I don't know but I would guess why EMC2 is on UBUNTU 6.06 LTS is the LTS
(Long Term Support).
I am expecting the next version of UBUNTU to be a new LTS version.

Why get hung up on LTS?

It keeps down the having to redo 'everything' for no significant gain for
the supported package.  LTS has a defined lifetime (I forget, I think it is
4 years,
and after the 3rd year a new LTS will come out.  At the end of a 'lifetime'
of
LTS does not mean it will stop working, just that no more security or other
fixes
will be published.  Currently there are few non-security or performance
based
patches being released for 6.06.1.  Version 8.04LTS is in the wings.

For EMC, it takes quite a lot to ensure the real time kernel works and
hasn't changed,
the same for Ubuntu/Linux kernel and other support libraries.

Personally, I LIKE that Ubuntu is mainly staying with the LTS versions,
especially
when they roll it out on a distribution that has already done the work of
ensuring all
the basics work.

I also like that the developers and others that are more hard core than I
can and do
'stay up' with the distributions, other packages, etc.  That way he project
(EMC) will
be 'ready' when the new LTS versions come out without having to 're-learn'
and 're-invent'
everything from scratch.

Such is the power of OpenSource.

Just curious, is anyone experimenting with 8.04LTS yet?  I understand it
is supposed to have real time support implemented as part of its base.

If so, will it be easier to have EMC2 implemented as 'just another package'
for
general install purposes?  (However I do like having a pre-implemented
EMC/UBUNTU
distribution CD!)