Kirk Wallace wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-01-19 at 11:54 -0800, Peter C. Wallace wrote:
> ... snip
>> A simple Voltage to frequency converter would probably do, for example the
>> AD654 in 8 pin DIP is probably quite a better than required. (500KHz max
>> frequency, .03% linearity)
>>
>> I would count the frequency with one of the spare encoder counters (set up
>> for
>> up/down mode) and use count difference accumulated over some number of
>> sample
>> periods (to average out the sample period jitter)
> ... snip
>
> On my Mitsubishi Freqrol U100 and Z200 VFD's there is a monitor output
> called FM, which is an 8 Volt pulsed signal with a frequency of 1440Hz
> at full scale. Both VFD's monitor output frequency (motor speed), or the
> U100 can be programed to monitor output current. I suppose a
> opto-coupler could be used to (almost) directly connect this signal to
> an encoder input.
>
> I'm not sure how handy motor speed would be. The motor current would be
> nice to have though. All my VFD's have a number or alarm outputs, which
> should probably be incorporated into my configuration, but most likely I
> won't get to it until something bad happens.

Like taking a cut that is heavy enough that the VFD trips on overload,
and the machine keeps driving the no-longer-spinning cutter through the
workpiece.  SNAP!

My Van Norman mill had the feedmotor interlocked to the spindle motor to
avoid exactly that issue (designed in about 1939).  When I replaced the
motor starters with VFDs I did the same, and I'm glad I did.  That
little machine is very rigid - enough so that it can take a 1-1/2HP cut
that will trip the spindle drive with no audible sign of struggling.

Last week I was doing a slot in cast iron with a 1/2" endmill.  The cut
started 0.3" deep, but due to a slipping collet it wound up 0.7" deep
before the spindle tripped.  There was no indication that the mill
minded taking that cut.

Regards,

John Kasunich