Gentlemen,
    Plain arrogance is why the machine tool builders will not settle
on a standard. This would be mixed with the (misguided in my opinion)
PROFIT motive.
    I late 1997/early 1998 I went to Oxnard, California to visit Haas.
They were just developing the VR (5 axis) series machine. When I
visited with Kurt Zierhut (sp?) the arrogance was very evident.  Kurt
is from England so this would ENHANCE his arrogance somewhat. He told
me that as there is no standard G code Haas thought about changing
even the XYZ symbols because they would be able to establish a defacto
standard with their control and machines. They may have been able to
as they have become a dominant force in the industry.
    EMC is ready to become the industry standard generic controller.
    Chris Radek helped me with a script to use APTos (APT360) with
EMC. I pick the .apt extension program to load the program into EMC.
The computer processes the program through APT360, posts it for EMC
and loads the gcode into the control.
    I use an NC programming system call NCL. I have requested from
NCCS a runtime version for Linux. NCL used to run on VAX VMS and the
SGI Irix and IBM AIX. NCCS now focuses on Windows to use NCL. I am
sure it would run on Linux with very minor changes. I would then be
able to use all my part programs directly in EMC.
    I would like to see EMC display the APT360 program and I wouldn't
even see the gcode unless I chose to. Computers are fast enough to
process and post the programs in real time.
    Mastercam, Esprit, Unigraphic. BobCAD/CAM, Catia, WorkNC,
SmartCam... Any NC programming system would then be able create a
linux runtime and directly run EMC. The post processor would be a
non-issue then.
    Wine could possibly be used now. This is beyond my capabilities
but I know a person here that might just be able to make wine work. He
was able to run Mastercam 8 in wine last week.

    Darn, I must go. My wife just woke me up to go to bed. Dreams are
nice sometimes. :)
thanks
Stuart

EMC is UMLIMITED!!!!!