Hi Rob,
The computer is plenty fast enough. This is a physics problem, something
like possibility #3.

If my memory serves correctly, EMC will try to make every little corner to
within 0.001mm unless you tell it not to. Try adding this to the top of
the program:
G64 P0.01

This tells EMC it's allowed to round off the corners a little bit. P is
the tolerance value, though it might actually be out of spec by twice the
P value, since long stretches of tiny segments get glommed together if
they move out of line by less than P.

   -fenn