John, Ben,

thanks for the explanations.
Meanwhile I fiddled around a bit more with my system and spent quite
some time "air milling" and after playing around with different
settings I discovered that , as John suggested, higher accelaration
gets faster results. I now got the acceleration up to 500 mm/s and now
it only takes half the time to mill one part of the mold.

For each little piece of line that DeskProto creates, EMC goes from a
full stop via ramp-up to max. speed and a ramp-down to full stop again
and since the model is being traced using a 0.2 mm step, it never
reaches any speed ...

That having said: I just played around with the G64 P... command and
now it reaches max. speed during milling. This makes milling in foam 3
times faster and  knowing that previous runs took 17 hours to complete
that's defenitely worth something :)
I used P0.1, close enough since the model will be spray painted with a
primer and a high gloss paint afterwards.

It will definitely be worthwhile to read up on G-coding, optimizing
and setting proper parameter values makes the difference

Cheers,

Rob