Stephen Wille Padnos wrote:
> EMC can do PID just fine.  It's steppers that can't.
Steve makes many good points, which have been gone over ad
infinitum here over the past N years.

The only comment I want to throw out is that some users actually
ARE using encoders with stepper motors.  It won't really correct
for lost steps except in some very special cases, where these
errors ought to be fixed by other means.  But, in a stepper
system where lost steps are a rare event usually caused by a
chip in the leadscrew or a real crash into a fixture, it can
save you from ruined workpieces or hours of checking parts with
a micrometer.

I want to agree with Steve that a linear scale doesn't magically
solve backlash except maybe in positioning-only applications.
Backlash is a much more fundamental problem, meaning that the
machine table is not constrained by the leadscrew, and no
attempt to gloss over it with software will make that lack of
constraint disappear.  It will bite you when you get into more
advanced machining.

Jon