On Tue, 2008-02-12 at 22:42 +0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > With the experience I have gained so far, it leads me to believe that
> > you are making choices that may make your quest more difficult. If you
> > are trying to have a CNC machine to make parts and spend as little as
> > appropriate for that end, then you should consider studying other
> > machines that are already proven to perform and copy their success.
> >
> > If you want to explore different methods of machine control, be prepared
> > to spend allot more time, money and run into dead-ends. You will also
> > need to be able to develop your own software because these days,
> > hardware won't do anything without software.
>

> whoa there, are you telling me EMC can't do PID?
>
> shirley not..........

Not at all, EMC can do just about anything, if you know how. I may have
stated it poorly, I'm just trying to indicate that making linear scales
work, in a practical sense, with EMC's motion control, will be uncharted
territory. My experience is that, scale feedback and backlash make for
an unstable system. No one, that I know of, has been able to get PID to
play well with backlash. The PID needs to react differently when in a
region of backlash and no-backlash. EMC can do positional backlash
compensation, so a solution may be to connect backlash compensation with
a dynamic PID system. It's interesting to think about, it just hasn't
been done yet. (The cool thing about EMC and Linux is that we are
allowed to try. Long live the Penguin.)

--
Kirk Wallace (California, USA
Hardinge HNC lathe,