On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 01:43:13PM -0800, Kirk Wallace wrote:
> I just noticed the --userspace flag for comp. Can I just massage my C
> file into comp form and have comp do all the real work? Then just use
> "loadusr" instead of the "loadrt" I am used to with comp files? What do
> I do with "main"?

comp --userspace is not as well-tested as comp for building realtime
modules.  But I do think that it works.

There is a "comp --userspace" example in the manual:
    http://linuxcnc.org/docs/html/hal_comp.html#r1_13_6
and a tiny bit more documentation above about the userspace-specific
things -- "option userspace yes" and "option userinit yes".

However, comp and modbus are probably a bad match -- my impression of a
generic modbus component is that it will be desirable to read a
configuration file when the component is initialized; however, comp
requires that the pins and parameters of the component be declared when
the component is compiled.

Jeff