What I meant to say is that you do need motor drivers, the outputs of
the parport will not let you draw any current (that is of use for
stepper motors).
You can draw 10, if you're lucky even 25, mA from the parport directly
so to control the stepper motors you will need a driver.

Why does everyone immediately think of (expensive) microstepper drivers
when "motor drivers" is mentioned.
As I also wrote, an IRF7402 FET will do nicely for lower currents. They
are my standard part to control these high power Luxeon/Seoul LEDs at
350 mA.
The Ron is 0.022 Ohm and power dissipation 2.5W so they can handle nice
currents if cooled a bit and they only cost me about € 0.40 each and Jim
already wrote he will use a schottky diode (1N5819 @ € 0.15) so building
a stepper motor driver can be real cheap.

But looking in your junk-box you'll may find some old 2N3055
transistors, they'll also do the trick at the cost of a little more
power consumption.

Building a motor driver in this way will not get the most out of your
motor, it does not use any current/voltage control like sophisticated
controllers but this will defenitely get you going with a simple setup.
I have been building robots using Fisher Technik this way when I was a kid.

'Was' ??? I still feel a kid some days when I am allowed to play with
these nice CNC tools :-D

Regards,

Rob