Aaron,

> The gantry weighs about 70Kg and I have 16mm lead screws with
> 4mm pitch.  Could some one tell me what specs I need so i can look out for
> stuff on ebay UK.

I have 6.4 Nm (~ 900 oz inch) motors, my gantry weighs about 80-90 Kg
and 16mm lead screws with 5mm pitch.
The motors are way too strong but my microstepper drivers are not able
to get the motors running faster than 400 revs/min.
Motor type is 34SM095-064-8W-SB12-6.4 and the drivers MSD-50-5.6
connected to a 42 V powersupply, both from www.stappenmotor.nl.
Force applied on the gantry goes up to 4000 N - this is big, too big.
2.5 Nm should be big enough, even for such a heavy machine.

I am going to buy an extra 2.5 Nm motor for the A-axis, hoping that this
motor (as promissed) will give a higher speed.

If you can, buy a combination that is specified with the wanted max.
speed you want.
For motor drivers: use only current controlled types with as high as a
voltage as you dare. The higher the max. output voltage, the more speed
you'll reach.
Select a driver with (at least) a 40 volt supply voltage for good results.

Rob