On Sunday 09 March 2008, Gene Heskett wrote:
>On Sunday 09 March 2008, Dave Engvall wrote:
>>Hi Gene,
>>
>>I've been running synergy for several years now on  FC5. I have a
>>Nvidia video card I'm not entirely happy with.
>
>So am I, but glx isn't working.  Unsing 169.09 nvidia driver and 2.6.24 as
>nothing newer runs on that driver, or vice versa.
>
>>Bob at Weber Systems usually has good recommendations on a stable
>>linux for synergy. I think those recommendations change from time to
>>time depending on experience.
>
>Humm, (and I just had to reboot, my playing with bricscad apparently trashed
>the system and even kmail froze.)
>
>That essentially means that weber is not staying current with linux, resting
>on their laurals so to speak.  That isn't very encouraging.
>
>Ditto for bricscad and brlcad it appears, although brlcad just ran its
>benchmark suite nicely here, bragging that this machine was about 1500 times
>faster than their reference machine, a VAX 11-723.  And while bricscad's rt
>reporter ran, it too squawked about opengl.  And I think trying to run mged,
>which never ran, is what took the system down for good, locking it up tight
>with thousands of processes.
>
>Synergy I like the best, a good gui, but while it claims to be able to
>open .dwg files, does absolutely nothing but clear the requester off the
>screen otherwise, for either a load, or an import.
>
>I wonder if synergy would run any better on that ubuntu box running the
> mill?
>
>Its sort of discouraging when autocad is so difficult to deal with in terms
> of its output, and synergy is so darned unstable.
>
>I'm going to quit X, and reinstall the nvidia driver cuz the Xorg.0.log says
>its getting the xorg version instead of nvidia's.

And that was the magic twanger, Dave.  It appears that an xorg update had put
a real libgl in, in place of the link to the version named nvidia library.  I
killed it and then reran the installer and everything is cool now for
synergy, the tut's worked as advertised and are stable.  And the whole
machine is 2 or 3x faster too.  And glxinfo works too.  Thanks for the bump
on the elbow to go check that out.  Now to go and clean up after amanda, as
that crash was in the middle of a backup run.  Messy. :(

>>Dave

>>> Update on synergy:  Thinking if I can figure out how to use it, I
>>> might even
>>> buy it although the extras are outragiously high.
>>>
>>> But, so far on this F8 box, I have only gotten to the end of one of
>>> the demo
>>> sessions, all the rest have taken X down with a signal 11 after
>>> about 100
>>> operations.  I see the last rpm is for RH9, which is now pretty
>>> prehistoric
>>> so I suspect a glibc incompatibility even though I'm running the
>>> tgz version.
>>>
>>> And I've made many attempts to load a very simple .DWG file from
>>> the schools
>>> autocad install of a friend of mine, with absolutely zero success.
>>> He has
>>> sent me pdf's but I can't make gcode out of a pdf.
>>>
>>> Does it (synergy) run ok on the kubuntu-6.06 that emc is built on?
>>>
>>> And I still haven't found a method to allow bricscad to run.
>>> Anybody else
>>> have it working?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Cheers, Gene
>>> "There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
>>>  soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
>>> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
>>> Systems programmers are the high priests of a low cult.
>>>             -- R.S. Barton

Cheers, Gene
Quantum Mechanics is a lovely introduction to Hilbert Spaces!
                -- Overheard at last year's Archimedeans' Garden Party