On Wed, 19 Mar 2008, Gary Fixler wrote:
> Anyone know how I can change the default jog speeds (linear/rotary) in AXIS?

[TRAJ]
DEFAULT_LINEAR_VELOCITY =
DEFAULT_ANGULAR_VELOCITY =

these values are in your preferred units per second, so for example in/s
or degree/s

> Also, is there a way to have it start up with no default file loaded?

delete /usr/share/axis/images/axis.ngc or set the environment variable
AXIS_OPEN_FILE to the ngc you want to open as default

> Sadly, the EMC2 AXIS default file is also set to run at a higher speed
> than my sad little machine can handle

This isn't a problem with EMC2. Your machine's MAX_VELOCITY is configured
wrong. The machine should not be able to lose steps simply by being
commanded too fast. Why would you want to command the machine to move
faster than is physically possible?

> Relatedly, I often can't finish an operation before it's time to leave for
> bed, work, or the rare social occasion. I ran a part this week that took
> between 6 and 8 hours. I hate leaving my controller on while out. It runs
> the steppers on a duty cycle that makes a pretty loud hissing noise, and
> they heat up, and I'm afraid of returning to (or waking up in!) a fire. That
> said, I turn off the machine when I leave. When I start it up, sometimes it
> just whines, and then starts hissing. Other times I hear one or more loud
> clunks, as it appears the steppers are being relatched onto.

The hissing noise is due to 'noise' believe it or not. Check your setup
for ground loops and capacitive coupling and all that good stuff. Or maybe
you should just buy some stepper drivers of higher quality.

To keep the steppers cool, you can rig up some CPU fans to blow on them.
But you really shouldn't leave the machine unattended. You can pause and
resume if you need to leave in the middle of a job. If you must turn the
drivers off, you can stop the program at a convenient place, and then edit
the g-code file so that it starts there next time. (run-from-line is not
quite ready yet.)

> I imagine that when it doesn't happen, they're lined up with the original
> stepper positions (A, B, C, or D). Does EMC remember which pins were active,
> or in the case of microstepping, which values/duties were on which pins? I'd
> love to see it save that data on exit, or maybe on machine off/e-stop?

Yes, EMC does this already, look at <path to your config dir>/position.txt

The problem is that your stepper drive does not remember the position
between power cycles. It will happily start up and move to the nearest
full step, since that's how stepper motors work. Also there is typically
some noise on the lines when you turn on the power supply. A better method
is to set up home switches, since this will calibrate the motor position
in the case they were moved while the machine was off.

   -fenn