Robert,

I remember reading somewhere that you could have homing switches and
travel beyond the homing switch. But even better would be to change
the limit switches such that you do not loose 3 inches.

Or just create a second machine configuration with manual homing. I've
still not installed my limit switches so that's what I am using. But
be aware: sometimes jogging goes beyond the programmed extends that I
specified with stepconf.

Rob