John,
        I have run 3 of these on a mill without any major issues.the only
problem I have found is that some of the revixsion of the controller pcb
used opto isolators witha limiting resitor in series with led in the
opto. this tends to cut down the highest speed you can run at. my fix on
these was to bypass the resistor. later pcb used transitor which works
beter.

Unfortunatly when my old pc dies i lost my configs, but my top speed was
limited to aprox 200mm/m on a 1mm pitch screw and 200 step/rev steppers.

With timing, I didn't change any of the timing from the defaults in the
sherline mm  config.

hope it helps.
Jason Cox
PS I can try to dig up a config file if you would like..