Hi Clint

Fascinating.  No EMC2 doesn't do that with a stock install or even a
simple config change.  This seems to me to be more like angling the tool
rest on a wood lathe and then using your finger to hold the cutting end
of the tool at a fixed distance from the rest.

A non-trivial kinematics would allow you to skew the X in relation to
the Z.  I don't think ordinary machine "home" is a useful way to think
about this.  It would require quite a bit of change to the kinematics to
allow you to change the angle of the XZ relationship as simply as making
a couple of "zero here" button presses.  I'm thinking that you'd have to
change values in the kins file and recompile for each angle. But then
you could compile several of these kinematics files and load the one
nearest to the angle you are trying to match.

I presume that the reason you'd like an Z0 that is at an angle to the
actual path of X is that you have grooves and ridges and frilly stuff
along the length of the drum shell.  Personally I a lot rather see you
handle the part program code in some sort of CAD/CAM or dedicated script
routine and leave the definition of the lathe as a lathe.  I can imagine
drawing up a cross section of the shell in CAD and then simply rotate
all of it to the desired angle and press the make gcode button.

Not much help.

Rayh