Les:

It's interesting to see the problems some are running into.

Starting with a fresh copy of Ubuntu 8.04LTS, I installed SheetCam TNG
V0.0.23 last week using the autopackage. No problem.

Last night, I followed your instructions and had no problem uninstalling
V0.0.23 or installing V0.0.24. I understand your "pushing sand up a hill
with your nose" metaphor (I have sometimes felt it was more like pushing
sand up my nose with a hill) but the installs "just worked" for me.

Once installed, however, SheetCam TNG V0.0.24 is doing some funky
interleaving of various window panes when I invoke "Help." I'll try to
do a screen capture if you haven't seen the behavior already.

Regards,
Kent