Hi Kirk,

Most plastics like a really sharp edge with lots of positive rake. You
want to slice it off rather than scraping it off. The xxGT inserts
generally use a micrograin carbide which allows them to hold a finer
edge. The down side is that they wear faster. However in a plastic like
Delrin that probably isn't an issue.

I would also take deeper cuts. For instance with your part, I probably
would only use two passes, one roughing at 0.160 and one finishing. If
you are doing a lot you may be able to even cut that down to one pass
though you may have to tweak the dimensions slightly to compensate for flex.

> Is it reasonable to use one tool for all
> directions; facing right and left, turning in and out?

I tend to work on the principle of 'if it has a cutting edge, use it'.
For instance if I am roughing to diameter I sometimes cut alternately
left and right with the same tool. This is obviously faster as you don't
have to return for the next pass and it spreads out the wear on the
cutter. Of course this depends very much on the tool and part geometry

Les