Ray Henry wrote:
> Are there swivel joints between the two screws so that the motors can
> move independent of each other?
Excellent point, and no, there do not appear to be any joints
between the two sides.  (Dr. Lie has sent me photos of the
machine.)  That is going to make it MUCH harder to properly home
the thing without bending the rails or ballscrews.

I wonder if it would work better to home one side, with the
other side's servo amp disabled, and then home the second side
the last few encoder counts.  Or, home the system with the servo
P gain turned WAY down, just high enough to get movement, and
then turn it up after the axes are in sync.

This is, in general, a bad idea to have a rigid tandem axis.

Jon