Jon Elson wrote:
> Kenneth Lerman wrote:
>> Jon Elson wrote:

>>> Excellent point, and no, there do not appear to be any joints
>>> between the two sides.  (Dr. Lie has sent me photos of the
>>> machine.)  That is going to make it MUCH harder to properly home
>>> the thing without bending the rails or ballscrews.
>>>
>>> I wonder if it would work better to home one side, with the
>>> other side's servo amp disabled, and then home the second side
>>> the last few encoder counts.  Or, home the system with the servo
>>> P gain turned WAY down, just high enough to get movement, and
>>> then turn it up after the axes are in sync.
>>
>> That solution assumes that one side can back drive the other. That isn't
>> necessarily the case.
>>
> Right.  I've seen pictures of the machine, it looks quite rigid,
> a welded steel box-tube frame with round slider ways bolted
> every 100 - 200 mm.  A modestly robust gantry, although it looks
> like 80-20 extrusion plus several round ways between the two ends.
>> It might be worth considering a home switch on just one side and a
>> squareness indicator on the other side. (Somehow, measure the offset or
>> flexing between the two screws.) Then drive one side to make the axis
>> square. Then lock the two axes to each other and home the whole thing.
> Well, the problem is when the thing fires up, the two servo
> drives will be fighting each other and distorting the frame.
> It needs some scheme to keep the two drives from fighting
> against each other, even BEFORE the axes are homed.  It is not
> real clear how you do this, especially since it is relatively
> rigid.  How do you determine the flex in the frame?  Strain
> gauges?  Wire-spool encoders on each side?  Absolute encoders?
> Actually, matching up absolute encoders sounds like a possible
> solution.
>
> Jon

Well, if one side can back drive the other, a possible sequence is:

1 -- Float side B and home side A. Side A will drag side B along with it.

2 -- Side B will be off of its home switch. Now lock side A (keep the
servo active) and home side B.

3 -- Now both sides are homed. At this point, (electrically, logically)
lock the two sides together.

It's a little more tricky than that because homing involves back and
forth motion. Step two, above, must be such that side B is off the switch.

Ken

--
Kenneth Lerman
Mark Kenny Products Company, LLC