John,

I usually don't pay attention to messages without a subject line because
they don't tell anything...

John Lichter wrote:
> I know this isn't an emc problem but has anyone seen it and were you
> able to do something about it? Often but not always when I start my
> computer I get a screen full of stratup or boot stuff. the last two
> lines are as follows.
>
> [ ---13.342425] ---[ end trace ca 143223eefdc828 ]---
> [ 13.342481] Kernel panic - not syncing: attempted to kill the idle task!

The problem with previous 2 lines is that they don't tell much. What
would be important to know is the previous (few) lines. Since "the
numbers" are small, I'm assuming it's early into bootup process unless
your system is "super fast".

For comparison my "classic kubuntu" with

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model           : 2
model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.53GHz
stepping        : 7
cpu MHz         : 1909.563
cache size      : 512 KB
bogomips        : 3823.04

does not even have numbers in that range so I cannot compare it to my
dmesg directly:

[    0.000000] PID hash table entries: 2048 (order: 11, 8192 bytes)
[    0.000000] Detected 1909.563 MHz processor.
[   62.288243] Console: colour VGA+ 80x25
[   62.288251] console [tty0] enabled

but you can compare it to your dmesg from a good bootup. That might give
you an idea at what point "bad bootup" happens. Some of those messages
end up in dmesg file under /var/log. That message gets rotated so you
might see the "crashed" one as /var/log/dmesg.0 or some such. It's
possible that some peripheral causes kernel to crash during loading a
driver. I would also check log files under /var/log. messages, kern.log,
syslog, and udev for any errors or warnings. Check log files often or
any time you suspect problems with hardware or the OS.

But then again, as others have suggested, memory, chipset, and CPU are
high on priority list for kernel to bootup successfully. You might have
problem with that. Noisy or out of specs power supply might be a problem
also.

Troubleshooting motherboard is difficult without schepatics and scope
etc. Based on your description it's possible that one of the components
needs to warm up in order to function. Freeze spray might help you find
that out.

Electrolytic caps close to CPU for voltage regulation are frequent
culprits. I had to replace one motherboard few months ago because of
Linux server frequent reboots. It turned out that caps around the CPU
were all "puffed up", i.e. they let smoke get out. You can tell that by
their top being open and not flat.

> Then a flashing cursor sits on the next line.
> So far I just reset. Sometimes I have to reset 2 or 3 times. Then it
> starts Unubtu and life goes on. This is a linux only computer,no windows.

Makes no difference. Windog cannot poison a PC to become unusable.

> This is not a drastic problem for me so don't loose any sleep over it.
> But if someone knows what is up I would like to know. Thanks. John

Good luck,

--
Rafael