My sentiments, exactly!
I have sound, networking, update and several other services disabled.
I use a somewhat unconventional method of doing it. I create the
directory /etc/rcd.2.not and move* the unneeded links from rc2.d
there. That way, if I need any of those services back, I can issue
/etc/rc2.d.not/servicename start|stop. I use a USB flash drive to get
gcode into the machine since wireless networking doesn't work at
the distance I have and an ethernet cable is impractical until we get
some construction finished.

The reason I did this was that within a few minutes after startup, the
machine's CPU usage goes very high for a few minutes and I figured
it was auto-update trying to get a network connection going.
It's a shotgun approach but it works and there was no clue in System Monitor,
top or ps as to what was causing the high CPU usage.

There's no need for any readers to flame me about doing it this way.
When I'm ready to do cutting, I leave my I.S. Tech hat in the house.
I'm just saying that it works for me. YMMV.

* mc (apt-get install mc) makes that process much easier. Very little typing ;^)

Emory

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 3:08 AM, Organic Engines
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  After a whole bunch of thought it occurred to me that sound is
> essentially real time and probably a resource hog.
>
>  Any reason not to unload all those alsa, oss, snd and etc modules?
>
>  Ultimately network, printing, bluetooth and other stuff can go once
> your system is working.
>
>  The idea is getting toward what would be essentially an embedded
> system. No fluff to distract your pc from doing it's machine control job.
>
> Dan

Emory