Emory,

         In Unix based systems, init looks in the rc directories for
startup and kill files.  The startup files all start with a capital
S, and the fill files all start with a capital K.  To keep either of
those files from being read and processes started or killed, all you
need to do is to change the K or S to k or s in the file names.  Init
will not run the scripts if the beginning letter is not capitalized.

Mark