On Mon, 2008-07-28 at 14:52 -0400, Sergey Izvoztchikov wrote:
> Thanks for all replays. I definitely didn't mean to sparkle any
> flame wars, sorry. It's reckless noob question, I probably shouldn't
> have asked. If others still want to voice their opinions, go ahead,
> but I absolutely not want any flame wars over my post.
>
> I guess I just needed some support to deal with my struggle. I
> think I've got it. Thanks again to all replays.

I think the choice is so unclear (either solution can work well) that
you might want to let fate decide. In other words, what do you have
currently in hand that you could use to get closer to your goal? If you
have an old printer or piece of surplus equipment with adequate motors,
start with that. With this you should have a power supply, motor driver,
motor, sensors, wire, etc. It shouldn't matter if the motor is a stepper
or servo. I have a pile of surplus I dig into regularly to test ideas
that come to mind. I think getting EMC to control bits of a surplus
printer would be a good project that should cost nearly nothing. Follow
the force, Luke.

--
Kirk Wallace (California, USA
Hardinge HNC/EMC CNC lathe,