Andy,

> could it be that my z-axis is too slow for a certain movement? i think the
> errors
> happen on g0 commands after about 40mm of movement. if there is a time
> constraint, the software could trap into a timeout and answer with a
> following
> error - but, to be hounest, this sounds ridiculous to me...

Is the error signal output of the Whale2 connected back to EMC2?
If this is true then yes, you may detect that the Z-axis is too slow for
certain movement.

What happens if you use a G1 command with the same movement?
Try to increase the feed rate until you hit the max. velocity.

If the error output is fed back to EMC2, then on a G0 move the motor will
start and use the acceleration set in your ini file to reach the max.
velocity.
Now, if the max. velocity is too high the motor cannot follow the programmed
movement andthe error output of the Whale2 is pulled low and that triggers a
following error.
Also, if the acceleration is too high you run into the same situation.

on the other hand, can some high interrupt latency cause the problem?
> i know i have one with that epia-v motherboard - but as long as i don't
> move any windows...
> i've a new (old) vga card ready, this will be my next test for the latency
> problem tomorrow.

Ah, I tested with an EPIA board also - If I remember well a V10000 (a 1 GHz
board).
I did not have much luck with that one,  after configuring it for my basic
mill (stepper motor drive, no encoders, position or error feedback) I had
lots of following errors. This is due to the fact that the embedded video is
snooping too much time of the processor and then EMC2 is not able to produce
the step pulses fast enough.
I do not remember if I tried this board with a VGA card, I do remember
trying an ASUS M2A-VM with both the embedded VGA and a PCI-VGA card but I
had no luck with that system.

If possible try another board. In the end I discovered that my older Compaq
(Athlon XP 2600+ with 768 MB) delivers almost the same real-time response as
my brand new Asus Striker-Extreme with Core Quad 6600 with 4 GB. There is of
course a difference when you start playing doom with EMC2 running (you're
doomed if you try ;-) )
Take any, almost any, board without embedded video to create a system being
more stable than the EPIA.

Rob

P.s: Don't get me wrong. The EPIA is a very good board, I have 2 EPIA boards
running web servers with scripting, SQL server and subversion server for 7
years now and they never failed on me (except for that one time where Typo3
went berserk ), it's just not "EMC friendly".