Hi all,

This is a first time posting so excuse my newbie-like characteristics.  I
just finished building a CNC router and am using EMC2 to control it on a
Hardy Heron install.  My computer is a P4 1.8Ghz Desktop, Matrox Video Card,
with 512 MB ram.  Presumably, I have an intel chipset.

On my first occasion running the software on my router, I got the dreaded
"Unexpected realtime delay; check dmesg for details" error.  I ran the "RTAI
latency calibration tool" and observed the kind of 64 second periodic ~150
ms increases increases in latency typical of an SMI (System Mangement
Interrupt) issue.  After finding an article on the EMC2 wiki directly
relating to turning off SMI, I felt very happy and proceeded to implement
the solution.

I "implemented the solution" by opening rtapi.conf and editing the file
exactly as detailed in the wiki article called "Fixing Realtime problems
caused by SMI on Ubuntu."  I was somewhat confused by the article when it
told me to skip to step 6, which instructs the user to copy the rtai_smi.ko
module to the appropriate directory - as I understand it, I didn't need to
do this on a Hardy Heron install as the module is already present.  After
installing the module, I ran EMC2 and gave the system a lsmod and saw that
the rtapi_smi.ko was running as expected.

HOWEVER, I still have (seemingly) the same latency issues as I had before.
I still get the "Unexpected realtime delay; check dmesg for details" error.

SO, my questions are:

1)  Is there some other similar form of latency that would cause this same
problem?
2)  Might I need to actually compile another rtapi_smi.ko module in order to
fix the problem?
3)  I did just do something flat out wrong when I tried to fix the problem?

4)  What is ACPI and APM? (I have not attempted to turn it off yet.)

I'm pretty frustrated and don't really know where to turn.  Any ideas?

All the best,
Peter