On Saturday 27 September 2008, Jon Elson wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> I don't know if this has any bearing or not for you, but I have an nvidia
>> card on my emc box, and had to switch it to use the vesa driver to get
>> that under control.  The nvidia binary blob was truly terrible, the nv
>> driver was better, and the vesa driver was the best.
>
>Hmm, probably best to NOT use high-end gaming video boards on a
>real-time system.
>I have had a LOT of trouble using stock drivers on nvidia.  Generally, I
>get outright crashes, screen freezes, and other nasty artifacts, and
>have to install the nvidia custom driver right away after the install.
>(For instance, on this machine I am typing on, I had 3 crashes before I
>got around to doing the nvidia driver install, they all looked like
>video problems.  After putting in the proprietary driver, it has been
>stable.  Unstable CNC controls are NOT a good idea!)
>
>Jon

It's been exactly the opposite here on this house box Jon.  I was running the
nvidia card, and their driver, but I had lots of disk corruption that
required long sessions with e2fsck, and on 2 occasions got the boot drives
LSN0 wiped clean.  I switched to an ati card and the radeon driver, end of
problem, but google sketchup won't run on it.  About a month ago I
reinstalled the nvidia card and its driver using an old, still compatible
kernel just to see if sketchup would run, and it does, but it took it just 11
hours to trash a drive again. e2fscking a 500GB drive is at best a boring
job.

Obviously I'm back on the ati card.

This mobo may wind up in the emc box at some point, I have a fawncy ASUS
board, a phenom quad core, 4GB of ram and some newer pci-e cards just waiting
for me to find my round tuit and build it. :)

Cheers, Gene
It's as BAD as you think, and they ARE out to get you.