I think that image-to-gcode may be working as designed, though I
understand that it's not giving the results you want.

Your screenshot shows that you specified a tool diameter of 2mm and
a pixel size of 0.5mm.  That means that the tool covers 4 pixels.
But in your antialiased images, the blackest parts are much less than 4
pixels wide, so image-to-gcode tries to figure out exactly how far in
the tool can go without cutting away any of the material you wanted to
remain.

(and because of antialiasing and jpeg compression, few of the pixels are
actually totally black)

There's not currently a way to tell image-to-gcode that you'd rather
err on the side of milling away more material.

I got results that may be closer to what you want by:
 * opening the image in gimp, choosing (layers>)colors>threshhold, and
   setting the low value to about 190.

 * then set the tool size to the same as the pixel size in
   image-to-gcode

Jeff