A bit more success...

I went into the Services under the Admin menu and turned off:

Actions scheduler (anacron)
Actions scheduler (atd)
Audio settings management (alsa-utils) - I think this one had been off
Bluetooth device management (bluetooth)
Computer activity logger (klogd)
Computer activity logger (sysklogd)
Power management (acpid)
Power management (apmd)
Printer service (cupsys)

I then restarted, though I'm not sure if it was necessary. My worst times
have dropped from the 33.5k range down to so far a max of 24.4.

Am I getting close to a useful value yet?
-Gary