Gary;

Your GeForce4 Ti 4600 is not underpowered, its Overpowered with propreitary
hardware accel. This is a gamers card - it RELIES on having the graphics data
filtered/modified by the CPU using DX8. Without that preprocessing its kinda
lost.

Nvidia won't release parts of there driver specs as open source so you can only
use there provided driver as is ( not realtime friendly ) or the linux generic
VESA driver which is likely your best bet.

I get great latency times with a Nvidia Vanta TNT2 16mb card - Overkill is
useless without proper driver support. If I tried using my 8800GT 1GB card the
results would likely be worse.

Thats my 5 cents worth ( 2 cents adjusted for inflation and the current
devaluation of the dollar.)

Greg B.