On Thu, 2008-10-23 at 16:59 -0600, John Thornton wrote:
> Don't know that much about Ubuntu but my xorg.conf file looked the
> same till I plugged in a different video card. I read somewhere if
> Ubuntu didn't recognize the hardware it just use a default... and the
> Kbuntu was a bit better at recognizing hardware for some reason...
>
> John

Just in case, I have had to edit the xorg.conf file in just about every
Linux install to get the screen resolutions I want. In a terminal
session:

"sudo su -"
"nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf"

Then edit the Device, Monitor and Screen sections to suit your hardware.
One of my xorg.conf's looks like this but your will be different.

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
#       Driver          "nvidia"
        Driver          "vesa"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Configured Monitor"
        Horizsync       30-66
        Vertrefresh     50-130
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Default Screen"
        Monitor         "Configured Monitor"
        Device          "Configured Video Device"
        Defaultdepth    24
        SubSection      "Display"
                Viewport  0 0
                Depth     24
                Modes     "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Then close all open windows and Control-Alt-Backspace to reload the
config file. There is a danger that your changes might keep X from
starting again, if so, edit xorg.conf in a text session (Alt-F1) to fix
it and then use the command "startx".

Kirk