On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 12:34:36PM +0000, alan wrote:
> So really my query is also about the future. Where will emc go if
> parallel ports become a thing of the past?

It can go to systems that still have parallel ports, even after they
become unusual in new consumer PCs.

It can go to systems where parallel ports are available on pci and
post-pci add-on cards.

It can go to systems where non-parport dumb I/O cards are available.

It can go to pci and post-pci internal busses using intelligent cards
like the mesa 5i20. (this is the path I personally favor)

It can go into embedded systems that are as powerful as today's desktop
PCs, but with appropriate I/O (e.g., PC/104)

It can go in ways I haven't even considered in writing this e-mail.
Whatever someone develops and contributes to emc, that's where emc will
go.

All that said, for the time being it is simply not a good idea to buy a
machine without a parport or PCI slot.  I would 100% stay away from
laptops.

It is not a good idea to buy a laptop for emc (even one with a parallel
port), because typically you have to choose between leaving SMI
interrupts enabled (which will introduce huge, stall-inducing delays
between steps) or disabling them and (according to Intel CPU and chipset
documentation) burning up the system because fans and other thermal
management techniques like CPU throttling may not work correctly
without SMI interrupts.

Cast-off Pentium-III or AMD Athlon desktops are probably the best
systems to seek out to run emc today.

Jeff