Jack Coats wrote:

>If you had another machine somewhere with a graphics display, even a
>Winders box running an
>X server, the X client (on the EMC) machine could display there.
>
>I think what you are asking is can you run without X at all?  Someone
>else will have to answer that
>definitively, but I think it currently needs AXIS running somewhere.

Nope.  AXIS is just one of several user interfaces available.  It's
probably the most actively maintained, and I happen to like it the most,
but it's not required.  (in fact, you don't have to use a computer UI at
all, apparently halui can function as the DISPLAY program)

>  It
>would be nice if there was
>a character (CURSES?) based version without the nice 'display' of the
>real time motion.  And possibly
>there is, I just don't know about it.

That's what the question was about: keystick - one of the terminal based
user interfaces ;)

>Or were you wanting to run 'headless', without Axis or equivalent at
>all? (I think of something
>like the CarveWright, that you can't do much more than stop/start it,
>everything else is pre-canned
>on another machine!)
>
>Carl Helquist wrote:
>

>>I would like to run keystick without starting an X display
>>environment. Is this possible? I have searched the documentation, and
>>looked at the contents of some of the scripts that start up EMC2 in a
>>graphical environment. But so far I am not doing very well. I may very
>>well be overlooking something very obvious.

You may want to set up a more standard set of init scripts.  Ubuntu and
other Debian-based systems use both runlevels 2 and 3 as "multi-user,
graphical" levels.  "Standard" UNIX usually uses runlevel 2 as
"networked, non-graphical".  To prevent X from running, you can disable
GDM from running by renaming the file S##gdm to K##gdm (I don't know
what the ## will be, but it's a 2-digit number)  I don't recall how much
more you need to remove, that may be all.

You should probably change the DISPLAY to "keystick" in some config and
try it in a gnome terminal before fiddling with your system configuration.

If you're in a console login and don't want X to load when you run EMC2,
you need to specify the path to the ini file on the command line.  (I
don't know the specific syntax, I never do this ;) )  If you last ran a
keystick-using config (even in a gnome terminal), you can also type "emc
-l" (no quotes) to run the last used configuration.  I believe (but I'm
not positive) that this will bypass the graphical config chooser.

>>Why would I want to do this? I don't know, I was just playing around
>>with the machine and got the idea that it would be an interesting
>>goal. Some of the recent messages on this board re: minimal
>>installations of EMC2 were probably the primary inspiration.

Experimentation is good :)  Hopefully keystick has kept up with the
changes.  Not many people use it, so it may have bitrotted some.

- Steve