In emc 2.2.x, the emc script always tries to create a terminal to run
keystick inside.

In the development version, this has been changed.  keystick will start
with DISPLAY unset (I just tested this with configs/sim/keystick.ini).
Here's the main change that made this possible:
    http://cvs.linuxcnc.org/cvs/emc2/scripts/emc.in.diff?r1=1.81;r2=1.82

I don't know for sure if that will apply to 2.2, and I chose not to
apply the change in 2.2 because I did not want to risk breaking the run
scripts for any users for whom it was currently working.

You may also need this change

http://cvs.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/emc2/src/emc/usr_intf/keystick.cc.diff?r1=1.9;r2=1.10
which I believe fixes an error in keystick at startup due to a kind of
race condition.  I'm pretty sure I didn't apply this to 2.2 either.

Jeff