Gentle persons:

Holy cow! I count eighteen mail digests between my message of just two
days ago and now. We're really cooking with gas here.

I meant no disrespect to Weber Systems by not mentioning Synergy. It has
tons of features both on the CAD side and the CAM side and now even
includes the Parasolid geometry kernel which according to some puts it
on the side of the angels (unless, of course, you're backing the
competing ACIS). If you'll look back through EMC-users messages to June,
you'll see I figured out how to install and run the Synergy version of
the time on Ubuntu 8.04 despite the libqt issue.

It's just that I thought we were discussing *Free* 3D CADs. Please tell
me if I'm misunderstanding the Weber Systems message that the free
evaluation period expires in 30 days. I deleted the whole install after
playing with it on and off for several weeks and drove on. Now I get the
impression from Dave Wengall's recent comment that the CAD portion
remains free??? [I wish, by the way, that Weber Systems would join the
21st century and put their pricing structure on their website. I
understand what their website says about this, but, frankly, I'm not
interested in calling a sales engineer just to find out if there's any
point in having the conversation.]

Regarding DWG (and DXF), Autodesk has been very coy for 20 years now
about the technical details and with every new release of AutoCAD both
DWG and DXF change, sometimes subtly, sometimes not, to accommodate the
new features. It got to the point that a bunch of folks formed what is
now called the Open Design Alliance to maintain a stable, accessible
specification called...wait for it...OpenDWG (see
http://www.opendwg.org). As a result, creating DWG readers/writers has
become a less visible issue but you can still crash and burn if you're
working on the bleeding edge of Autodesk products. I'm hopelessly
prejudiced, having spent much of my professional life developing and
promulgating open standards for information exchange, but I think if a
company's product data are important enough to spend a gazillion bucks
on software to create it, then it's too important to let the software
hold the data hostage through the use of unpublished, proprietary data
exchange formats. It's the information that should be the strategic
asset of manufacturing companies, not the software they had to buy to
manipulate it.

Next time I promise to talk about something completely different :-)

Cheers,
Kent