On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 1:16 AM, Andrew Ayre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I don't mean to take this OT, but I must note the term "sales engineer".
> It's depressing to see people use the title engineer when they likely
> don't design and create systems or infrastructure, or operate a train.
> Perhaps someday the title will be protected like lawyer and doctor
> currently are...
>
> Andy

Depending upon the state, (PA for one does), they liscense professional
engineers and will go after those that both practice (in the state) and use
the term "engineer" in thier title when they do not have the "P.E." after
thier name.

I had the unfortunate experience of this when my former company's
designation for my position included "engineer".  I received a email from a
state regulator (who was a PE) informing me of the state regs and he CC'd
the state liscensure board.  Needless to say, I corrected my title and am in
the process (5 years in PA) of getting those extra letters after my name.

Brian