> I think I may have confused you, or at least I am.
> EMC2 was installed along with Ubuntu from the "live CD" a couple of weeks
> ago. (This is great runs well - no problems):-)
> BDI/EMC was installed a few months back from the "Sherline CD" it was the
> old EMC not the new EMC2.
> Does that make more sense, or am I really lost.

Yes, that is essentially what I understood.  OK, is there anything you
actually NEED off the BDI/Sherline install?  If not, why worry about it?
If so, then I think I have given enough info to get into the file system
and get stuff off it.  You need to find which of the sda<x> partitions
is the old system, mount it and then copy what you need off there.

If that doesn't address your problem, then I am lost.  But, you really
don't want to use an old BDI, as it could be 2005-2006 vintage, and
there has been a LOT of progress since then.

Jon